Redondo Roller Skating Rink
History of the Redondo Roller Skating Rink
The Redondo Skating Arena opened for roller skating in the summer of 1936. The structure itself was possibility older being built circa 1922 as a recreation and dance hall, before being converted for roller staking.
It was owned and operated by Weston J. “Wes” Betts and his wife, Lauree Betts. The March 24, 1938 Seattle Star newspaper identified W. J. Betts as the rink’s owner.
The Betts' remodel put on the first floor a bowling alley, billiards tables, a shooting gallery, archery lanes, a dance floor, a restaurant, and hundreds of games of amusement in a large arcade. The second floor was the roller skating rink.
On the second floor the organ was installed by Balcom & Vaughan in 1948. It was their opus 469. Although advertised as a Wurlitzer, the organ included parts from various organs including Seattle's Egyptian Theatre. Eved Oliver was the rink organist.
The building and organ were completely destroyed by fire on January 20, 1951.
The former site of the Redondo Recreation Center is outlined in red.
Skating Rink, organist with organ, organ pipes, and post-fire photographs are courtesy of the Puget Sound Theater Organ Society.
info@dmhs.org 206-824-5226