The Gables General Store Des Moines School Student Body About 1915 The Daring - One of the 'Mosquito Fleet' serving Des Moines Nathan E. Munger - Civil War Veteran
Des Moines Historical Society Museum logo


HOME

VISITOR INFORMATION

EVENTS

OUR COLLECTION

AREA HISTORY

HELPING THE SOCIETY

ABOUT US

CREDITS

SITE STATISTICS

Opal Finnel and Rilda Martin Moses on Old Growth Log

Des Moines History Time Line
1700-1849 | 1900 | 1910 | 1920 | 1930 | 1940 | 1950 | 1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000
1920's
1920's
  • Campfire group organized by Mrs. Mark VanGasken in Des Moines.
1921
  • Dance Hall established at Star Lake. Previously the Star Lake Inn and Three Sister's Inn existed at Star Lake.
  • Weston Betts purchased a carousel (which in 1977 was moved to Enchanted Village in Federal Way after having been in Tacoma) along with constructing a dance hall at Redondo in 1922. The Dance Hall was destroyed by fire on Jan. 20, 1951 after being converted into a skating rink in 1937 the "Redondo Amusedrom." In 1962 the Betts family built the Bayshore Apts. on the site of Redondo Skating Rink.
1922
  • Jan. 14 - Dedication of High Line Road (Des Moines [Way] Memorial Drive) by planting Elm Trees in honor of the soldiers from King County who served in World War I. The trees were planted between South Park in Seattle and the Kent-Des Moines Road.
  • March 9 - The steamer Virginia V, one of the Mosquito Fleet boats, is launched.
1924
  • March 17 - Boy Scout Troop 375 was formed by Rev. Beatty, Scoutmaster, Rollin Case, and Franklin Lowery. In 1923 Rev. Cyrus Gilbert, a teacher at Sunnydale and Highline High School, had established a troop at Sunnydale.
  • Highline High School opened (Union R-41 School District formed in 1921 by the Sunnydale, Lake Burien, Mount View, Southern Heights, Des Moines, Manhattan, and Angle Lake School Districts). In 1941 the Highline School District was formed from the union.
  • Gilbert Road (South Star Lake Road) from Military Road to SR 99 constructed.
1926
  • Redondo Heights Grocery at 27905 Pacific Highway South opened.
1927
  • July 12 - Masonic Home of Washington moved to Zenith. First retirement home in the area.
1928
  • Oct. 18 - Official opening of Pacific Highway South (SR 99) at Angle Lake.
  • Des Moines-Zenith Orthopedic Auxiliary organized.
  • Seattle-Tacoma Land Company formed to develop Normandy Park. In 1934 the Club House was sold to Ben Tipp as a family residence and development stopped. Beach rights to "The Cove" where established for residents of those parts of Normandy Park, Gregory Heights and Manhattan formerly owned by the company.
1929
  • Jan. 9 - Des Moines Elementary School Fire.
  • May 22 - Federal Way School District formed (District 210) by consolidating the Woodmont, Redondo, Buenna, Adelaide, Lakota Harding, and Lake Geneva Schools.

Unless otherwise noted, ©2002-2007 All Rights Reserved by Des Moines Historical Society.
info@dmhs.org 206-824-5226 / Privacy Policy