Des Moines Post Office, date unknown
Des Moines Post Office, date unknown
Des Moines Post Office, 1967
Des Moines Post Office, 1967
Des Moines Post Office, 2003
Des Moines Post Office, 2003
Des Moines Post Office
2003 S. 216th St.

The Des Moines Post Office opened on August 6, 1889 with James F. Hiatt as postmaster. Mr. Hiatt served until Feb. 8, 1890. Many people served as postmaster including Nettie Finnel appointed March 7, 1892, when the post office was located on 6th Avenue S. (Grand Avenue) near S. 225th St. Over the years the post office moved several times, but always remained in the downtown area. The last postmaster was Mabel P. Raybeck who was first installed as acting postmaster Aug. 31, 1953 and who served until her retirement on April 22, 1966 when the post office became a branch of the Seattle Post Office. The Post Office was moved to a new building at 7th and 222nd that was dedicated April 4, 1967 and served the community until the current building on S. 216th St. was built. Many residents had requested the 7th Avenue branch remain open to serve the many customers who had post office boxes and to retain the convenience of having a downtown post office. However, the 7th Avenue S. Post Office was closed and all mail services were relocated to the S. 216th Street facility.

Home
Miscellaneous Photos
Table of Contents
Top Third of Des Moines
Middle Third of Des Moines
Bottom Third of Des Moines