Fire Station at 222nd St. and 24th Avenue S. in the 1970s
222nd St. and 24th Avenue S. in the 1970s
Fire Station at 222nd St. and 24th Avenue S. after 2001 remodel
222nd St. and 24th Avenue S. after 2001 remodel
Des Moines Chemical Wagon 1923 a Modified Model T
Des Moines Chemical Wagon 1923 a Modified Model T
Des Moines Fire Station
222 nd St. and 24th Avenue S.

When Des Moines was an emerging community with passable roads and operating telephones the Kent Fire Department serviced the Des Moines area. In January 1925, due to the lengthy amount of time it took for the fire trucks to arrive from Kent, a fire destroyed the Des Moines grade and high school. Following this disaster, residents organized a volunteer fire department from members of the small local community. The Des Moines fire fighting services have been hosted at several different locations including Del Osterhoudt's Texaco station. Del later became chief of the fire department. His wife Wally was owner of the Des Moines Cinema and fire dispatcher. Later, during World War II, when the men were away, she organized a women's volunteer fire department affectionately known as "The Bra Briggade". Fire District Number 26 was approved by the voters on June 19, 1945. (65 in favor, 0 against). At long last Des Moines would have a paid fire briggade. Station No. 1 at 22231 Marine View Drive S., now a motor cycle repair shop, was built. Later Station No. 2 was established at 222nd St. and 24th Avenue S., which serves now as the fire station.

Home
Miscellaneous Photos
Table of Contents
Top Third of Des Moines
Middle Third of Des Moines
Bottom Third of Des Moines